A cigar humidor isn’t just a luxury—it’s a necessity for any serious cigar aficionado. A well-chosen and adequately maintained humidor can significantly extend the lifespan, flavor, and overall quality of your prized cigars. This comprehensive guide takes you through the essential steps for setting up a cigar humidor and provides expert recommendations for its upkeep.
Step 1: Selecting Your Ideal Humidor
Choosing a humidor is your first critical decision. Various options are available, from compact desktop designs to expansive walk-in variants. When making your selection, consider the size of your current (or planned) cigar collection, your available space, and, of course, your budget.
Step 2: Initial Preparation of the Humidor
After you’ve purchased your humidor, unbox it and remove any internal and external wrapping or packaging. Employ a soft, damp cloth to meticulously wipe down both the interior and exterior, eliminating any lingering dust or residues.
Step 3: The Art of Seasoning Your Humidor
Seasoning is the requisite step for ensuring your humidor maintains the correct relative humidity (RH) to preserve your cigars optimally. Follow this process for effective seasoning:
- Place a bowl of distilled water centrally within the humidor.
- Seal the humidor and let it rest for several hours, or overnight for best results.
- Remove the bowl and wipe away any excess moisture using a damp cloth.
- Insert a hygrometer to monitor internal humidity levels.
- Fill your chosen humidification device (e.g., humidifier, humidification packs, or a sponge) with distilled water or a balanced 50/50 blend of distilled water and propylene glycol.
- Position the humidification device in the humidor and seal it.
- Over the next few days, regularly check the hygrometer to ensure the RH level stabilizes between 68% and 72%.
Once your humidor reaches the target humidity, it’s ready for storing your cigars.
Step 4: Routine Humidor Maintenance
Regular upkeep is crucial for prolonging the life and quality of your cigars. Here are some maintenance tips:
- Frequently check the humidity level via your hygrometer.
- Refill the humidification device as necessary to maintain optimal humidity.
- Avert direct sunlight or extreme temperatures, as they can affect internal RH levels.
- Rotate your cigars periodically to ensure uniform humidity exposure.
- Every few months, clean the interior using a soft, damp cloth to eliminate any built-up dust or debris.
Conclusion: Elevate Your Cigar Experience through Proper Storage
Investing in a high-quality cigar humidor and maintaining it diligently is invaluable for any cigar enthusiast. Following this guide will not only keep your cigars in prime condition but will also enrich your overall cigar experience, ensuring each smoke is as pleasurable as the last.
For cigar aficionados who seek unmatched quality and variety, Oxford Cigar Company offers an unparalleled selection of premium cigars and accessories. With our fast worldwide shipping in humidified bags, rewards program, membership discounts, and price-match guarantee, your next ultimate cigar experience is just a click away.